Re: [css3-page] Styling elements differently based on whether they appear on a left or right page

On Sep 9, 2013, at 00:26, Håkon Wium Lie <howcome@opera.com> wrote:
> Absolutely, combinatorial explosions in property names must be avoided.
>
> If you want different sidenotes for left and right pages, you can use
> the @sidenote construct:
> [snip]
This does not really help in my use case, where I wanted to style child elements / pseudoelements of sidenotes with a different border-radius, like this left page screenshot: [1]. In right pages, the border-radius and the transform of the green label would be different, to maintain the same visual effect. I expect this is not an isolated edge case but something many people would want to do as designing books with CSS catches on more.

> I'm happy to hear you're formatting your book in CSS;
>
>  https://twitter.com/LeaVerou/status/364842221209526273
Actually, several O’Reilly animal books today are styled with CSS and printed through AntennaHouse. The difference of mine is that the design is four color and quite a lot more …adventurous than the animal books. The shortcoming discussed in this thread has made several things in my original book design difficult or even impossible to do and I recently found out it has made other, simpler, O’Reilly book designs difficult as well. The AH folks were willing to add something for this, but if there is no spec, it will have to be proprietary, as the need for it is strong.

> Bert and I did the same back when, and we wrote up on our experience:
>
>  http://alistapart.com/article/boom
Heh, thanks, I wish I had found that before starting, I had to find out a lot of this myself…

~Lea

[1]: http://i1.minus.com/jbdrrxtTvFpWec.png