Re: [css3-page] Styling elements differently based on whether they appear on a left or right page

From: Håkon Wium Lie <howcome@opera.com>
Date: Mon, 9 Sep 2013 00:26:32 +0200
To: Lea Verou <lea@verou.me>
Cc: Brad Kemper <brad.kemper@gmail.com>, Alan Stearns <stearns@adobe.com>, www-style list <www-style@w3.org>
Lea Verou wrote:

 > For example, in my case, one of the things I wanted to be different
 > is border-radius. Are we going to also add things like
 > border-top-outside-radius?! That would be ridiculous, wouldn’t it?

Absolutely, combinatorial explosions in property names must be avoided.

If you want different sidenotes for left and right pages, you can use
the @sidenote construct:

  @page :left {
    @sidenote {
      border-radius: 0.2em 0 0 0.2em;
  @page :right {
    @sidenote {
      border-radius: 0 0.4em 0.4em 0;

Here's a sample document that uses the feature:

And here's how AntennaHouse renders it:

I'm happy to hear you're formatting your book in CSS;

Bert and I did the same back when, and we wrote up on our experience:

Things have improved since then, even if much work remain. Here's an
overview of the capabilities of GCPM implementations, as well as links
to test pages: