[css-regions] Tweetdeck-style app and flow-into

On 10/28/13 7:40 AM, "Sylvain Galineau" <galineau@adobe.com> wrote:

>So if I wanted to build a web version of the widely used
>Tweetdeck app, one named flow per feed would be a great way to separate
>the content - individual feeds of tweets - from the visual feed columns in
>the app.

Sylvain brought this up in the context of wanting to attach event handlers
to regions (to reorder feeds, for instance). But I think it's a very
interesting case for flow-into generally. It's a more complex and
compelling version of the 'breaking news' use case where some content gets
redirected by a named flow to a more prominent container.

In the Tweetdeck case, you'd have your content which is a
each tweet category/search you want to display. These containers might be
elements, or in the near future they might be custom components. The issue
is how you match the content to the container you want to display it in.

Without named flows, you either have a server process that does some
violence to the content to wrap it in the various containers, or you have
some client-side script that uses DOM manipulation to scramble the ordered
list into the intended containers. If the user changes one of the feed
searches, then you have to run the process/script again to re-mangle your
content into the new display.

With named flows, you can leave the content as it is. Tweet elements get
assigned to different named flows, and those named flows each get assigned
to a single container. When the user changes a feed search, all you have
to do is change some CSS and/or class assignments in order to get the new
display. The content always stays intact in its original structure.

I think that named flows provide a better content/presentation separation
story for this case than currently available methods.

Thanks,

Alan