Re: [css-books] Re: [css3-gcpm] Complex Footnotes

James Clark wrote:

 > > The challenges, compared to simple footnotes, are:
 > >
 > >  a) two streams of footnotes, with separate formatting
 > >  b) footnote numbering based on line numbers
 > >  c) inline vs block-level footnotes

 > Are footnote separators also an issue?  For example, in the Pepys case,
 > there's a footnote separator (a centered horizontal rule) between the two
 > footnote areas, which occurs only if both footnote areas are non-empty;
 > however, one could also imagine a separator between the body and the
 > footnotes that occurs only if at least one of the footnote areas was
 > non-empty.

Yes, I think separators are also an issue.

A Pepys-like footnote is visible here:

  http://people.opera.com/howcome/2013/tests/books/e-footnotes-leaders-line-numbers-ah.pdf

Due to this code:

  @footnote {
    padding: 0.3em 0;
    border-top: thin solid black;
    border-clip: 0 1fr 4em 1fr;
  }

Antennahouse supports the fr unit which is used in on border-clip,
described here:

  http://dev.w3.org/csswg/css-backgrounds-4/#border-clip

However, the code will always add the separator if there is content in
the area; I don't have a way of making it conditional. Are we sure
it's conditional, though? From the two pages in the example, one could
also conclude that the separator is always there when there are
footnotes with numeric markers.

-h&kon