Re: [css-regions] Named Flows, Elements and Box Generation

From: Håkon Wium Lie <howcome@opera.com>
Date: Wed, 23 Oct 2013 20:14:16 +0200
To: "L. David Baron" <dbaron@dbaron.org>
Cc: www-style@w3.org
David Baron wrote:

 > On Monday 2013-10-21 17:39 -0700, Alan Stearns wrote:
 > > The way that named flows and overflow:fragments interact is through
 > > applying flow-from to the overflow:fragments element itself. It *requires*
 > > that flow-from applies to elements. So I think this shows that the
 > > elements issue [5] should be closed as well. If anything, we need to
 > > restrict flow-from from applying to ::nth-fragment() pseudo-elements in
 > > the Overflow draft, in exactly the same way that the content property does
 > > not apply to these particular pseudo-elements. The flow-from property
 > > needs to apply to elements to interact properly with the rest of CSS.
 > I think the underlying motivation for [5] includes (at least) that:
 >  (a) the use of regions encourages creation of extra markup for
 >  stylistic purposes only, which is inconsistent with separation of
 >  content and presentation

Agree -- this attacks the foundations of both HTML and CSS. To quote

  We wanted HTML to remain a semantic language so the content could be
  presented on all sorts of devices, not just visual ones. Therefore
  we developed CSS. So, in a way, you could say that CSS was developed
  to save an even more important language, namely HTML.

The way regions are currently designed and promoted, lots of
presentational elements will enter the web.

I suggest, again, that using elements is removed from the
specification and that regions are declared & described in CSS.