Re: [css-regions] Named Flows, Elements and Box Generation

David Baron wrote:

 > On Monday 2013-10-21 17:39 -0700, Alan Stearns wrote:
 > > The way that named flows and overflow:fragments interact is through
 > > applying flow-from to the overflow:fragments element itself. It *requires*
 > > that flow-from applies to elements. So I think this shows that the
 > > elements issue [5] should be closed as well. If anything, we need to
 > > restrict flow-from from applying to ::nth-fragment() pseudo-elements in
 > > the Overflow draft, in exactly the same way that the content property does
 > > not apply to these particular pseudo-elements. The flow-from property
 > > needs to apply to elements to interact properly with the rest of CSS.
 >
 > I think the underlying motivation for [5] includes (at least) that:
 >
 >  (a) the use of regions encourages creation of extra markup for
 >  stylistic purposes only, which is inconsistent with separation of
 >  content and presentation

Agree -- this attacks the foundations of both HTML and CSS. To quote
myself:

  We wanted HTML to remain a semantic language so the content could be
  presented on all sorts of devices, not just visual ones. Therefore
  we developed CSS. So, in a way, you could say that CSS was developed
  to save an even more important language, namely HTML.

  http://www.root.cz/texty/hakon-wium-lie-css-was-created-to-save-html/

The way regions are currently designed and promoted, lots of
presentational elements will enter the web.

I suggest, again, that using elements is removed from the
specification and that regions are declared & described in CSS.

-h&kon