Re: [css-shapes] how to size and position <image>s

On 10/18/2013 11:52 AM, fantasai wrote:
> On 10/17/2013 07:41 PM, Alan Stearns wrote:
>> fantasai wrote:
>>>
>>> Okay, now let's consider an element that contains text, but has a shape
>>> derived from an image. This means that the size of the image and what
>>> it's box would be is potentially very different from the size of the
>>> box resulting from sizing the text. That size is therefore mismatched,
>>> though well-defined. What is its position with respect to the actual
>>> box?
>>
>> I would expect the top-left corner of the image would be in the top-left
>> corner of the content box. What would you suggest?
>
> I would suggest centering the image. Any time we pick a side, it's gives
> us a bias. That has two problems: it's non-symmetrical--and most designs
> are better off if we're being symmetrical--and it's i18n-unfriendly.

Btw, we might actually want to key off object-fit/object-position instead,
taking the used content box size as the image's content box for this purpose.
This not only guarantees that the images match, but also let's the author
play around with settings in the case that the element being shaped is
not a replaced image.

~fantasai