Re: Proposal for "overflow:clip" for stronger painting isolation

From: Tab Atkins Jr. <jackalmage@gmail.com>
Date: Fri, 18 Oct 2013 08:47:02 -0700
To: Bruno Racineux <bruno@hexanet.net>
Cc: "Kang-Hao (Kenny) Lu" <kanghaol@oupeng.com>, www-style list <www-style@w3.org>
On Fri, Oct 18, 2013 at 1:38 AM, Bruno Racineux <bruno@hexanet.net> wrote:
> On 10/17/13 2:57 PM, "Kang-Hao (Kenny) Lu" <kanghaol@oupeng.com> wrote:
>>(2013/10/18 5:35), Tab Atkins Jr. wrote:
>>> On Thu, Oct 17, 2013 at 2:23 PM, Bruno Racineux <bruno@hexanet.net>
>>> This is basically a more powerful/comprehensive overflow:hidden, so it
>>> addresses float clearing as well as overflow:hidden does.
>>I suppose this reads
>>  'overflow: clip' doesn't address "clearing the float"
>>? I am not criticizing the proposal as the use cases might just be
> I bring this due to the implications between overflow:hidden and "clearing
> the float". And for lack of introduction perhaps, I am curious to
> understand what overflow:clip intends to achieve or address.
>>but the above sentence is just vague and diffucult to parse, at least to
> The way I read Tab, is that it would substitute the "overflow:hidden"
> method of
> "clearing the float". But it is vague indeed.

I'm not sure how I was vague.  overflow:clip is a stronger version of
overflow:hidden, effectively.  It works exactly as well for clearing
floats as overflow:hidden does.  If you're unsatisfied using
overflow:hidden to clear floats, you'll be unsatisfied with using
overflow:clip as well.

Getting a container element to contain its floats has been addressed
directly in the Sizing spec, though it hasn't gotten implementation
yet.  You can set "min-height: contain-floats;" to make it work: