Re: Proposal for "overflow:clip" for stronger painting isolation

On 18/10/2013 7:38 PM, Bruno Racineux wrote:

> On 10/17/13 2:57 PM, "Kang-Hao (Kenny) Lu" <kanghaol@oupeng.com> wrote:
>
>> (2013/10/18 5:35), Tab Atkins Jr. wrote:

>>> This is basically a more powerful/comprehensive overflow:hidden, so it
>>> addresses float clearing as well as overflow:hidden does.
>>
>> I suppose this reads
>>
>>   'overflow: clip' doesn't address "clearing the float"
>>
>> ? I am not criticizing the proposal as the use cases might just be
>> parallel,
>
> I bring this due to the implications between overflow:hidden and "clearing
> the float". And for lack of introduction perhaps, I am curious to
> understand what overflow:clip intends to achieve or address.

Why is it that when Tab attempts to start or continue this thread that
it get hijacked into being a thread about clearing floats?

I will quote Tab.

 > In particular, isolating the painting of an element seems like a big
 > win - having some way to guarantee that the element can be
 > hard-clipped to its boundary without losing anything important.
 > overflow:hidden doesn't*quite*  do this - abspos and fixpos elements
 > can escape the bounds of the element.

Test case.

div { height: 100px; width: 100px; border: 5px solid black; }

I located?</div>

Alan

--
Alan Gresley