Re: [css3-text] text-justify: inter-ideograph should not separate U+3033 from U+3035

On 01/08/2013 09:23 PM, Yuki Sekiguchi wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I read current editor's draft of CSS Text Module Level 3.
>
> It says about text-justify: inter-ideograph[1]:
>> ‘inter-ideograph’
>> Justification primarily changes spacing at word separators and between characters in block scripts. This value is typically used for CJK languages.
>
> Block script is defined like following[2]:
>> block scripts
>> CJK and by extension all Wide characters. (See [UAX11]) The following scripts are included: Bopomofo, Han, Hangul, Hiragana, Katakana, Yi
>
> UAX11 define U+3033 and U+3033 are wide characters.
> Therefore, text-justify: inter-ideograph should separate U+3033 from U+3035..
>
> However, Requirements for Japanese Text Layout define them as
> inseparable characters[3].
>
> I think separating U+3033 from U+3035 is odd behavior from Japanese perspective.
>
> [1]: http://dev.w3.org/csswg/css3-text/#text-justify0
> [2]: http://dev.w3.org/csswg/css3-text/#block-scripts
> [3]: http://www.w3.org/TR/2012/NOTE-jlreq-20120403/#cl-08

Hi,

I believe this is actually an error in Unicode--this pair
should form a single grapheme cluster, as they are really
two halves of a single character. If that is fixed, then
the correct behavior logically follows, since CSS does not
allow line-breaking or justification to break apart a
single grapheme cluster.

I have reported this to the UTC. Hopefully they will fix
it in a future version of Unicode!

~fantasai