Re: [shadowdom]: Using :root to specify the insertion point in ::distributed

From: Tab Atkins Jr. <jackalmage@gmail.com>
Date: Fri, 29 Mar 2013 09:58:42 -0700
To: Hayato Ito <hayato@google.com>
Cc: fantasai <fantasai.lists@inkedblade.net>, "www-style@w3.org" <www-style@w3.org>
On Thu, Mar 28, 2013 at 9:21 PM, Hayato Ito <hayato@google.com> wrote:
> I'm okay with scope-relative selectors. Look like it is the most
> intuitive for developers.
>
> For reference, scope-relative selectors seems explained here.
> http://dev.w3.org/csswg/selectors4/#scoping
>
> I am wondering that is there any actual usage of such scope-relative selectors?
> Is this the first-ever case?
>
> The spec says:
>> ..., while the similar element.find function defined in the same spec uses scope-relative selectors.
>
> But I could not find such usage of 'find()'.

It's in Selectors API 2
<http://www.w3.org/TR/selectors-api2/#interface-definitions>.  It was
inspired by jQuery, which allows things like el.find("+ div").

> Looks like we have to update the formal syntax of selector to support
> the new syntax as explained in scoped-relative selectors:

Yes, we do.  I've been intending to fiddle with the syntax of
selectors for a while anyway.  I think that Selectors API 2 gives the
necessary grammar redefinitions.

~TJ