[css-counter-styles-3] Font for symbolic counter style

From: Simon Sapin <simon.sapin@exyr.org>
Date: Tue, 26 Mar 2013 18:20:43 +0100
To: www-style@w3.org
Hi,

Consider this test case:

   data:text/html,<ol style="font-family: monospace"><li>foo

Here, the list marker inherits font-family, and "1." is shown in a
monospace font.

   data:text/html,<ol style="font-family: Ahem"><li>foo

Same as above, except that "1." in the Ahem font appears as a big black
rectangle. So far Firefox, Chromium, Opera, WeasyPrint and PrinceXML are
consistent.

I installed Ahem from here:
http://www.w3.org/Style/CSS/Test/Fonts/Ahem/

I think this is not controversial that numeric or alphabetic counters
look better if they use the same font as the content. (Setting aside
Ahem, which is only useful for testing anyway.)

Letís switch to an unordered list, where the default list style is 'disc':

   data:text/html,<ul style="font-family: Ahem"><li>foo

In WeasyPrint and PrinceXML, the disc is rendered as a U+2022 BULLET
character, which in Ahem is also a big square. This is what should
happen in my understanding of the Lists 3 and Counter Style drafts.
Browsers, however, still show a disc.

So, should css-counter-styles-3 say something about the font used to
render symbolic counter styles such as 'disc'?

Or should it be in css3-lists, maybe as
   ::marker { font-family: initial }
in the UA stylesheet?

--