Re: "image-resolution: snap" and scaling all lengths in tandem

From: Tab Atkins Jr. <jackalmage@gmail.com>
Date: Mon, 25 Mar 2013 20:17:42 -0700
To: Bjoern Hoehrmann <derhoermi@gmx.net>
Cc: www-style list <www-style@w3.org>, phoenix <phoenix@google.com>
On Mon, Mar 25, 2013 at 7:32 PM, Bjoern Hoehrmann <derhoermi@gmx.net> wrote:
> * Tab Atkins Jr. wrote:
>>This solved his problem exactly.  However, this means the sizes of the
>>images aren't quite predictable, which means that the sizing of
>>related parts of the document won't quite match up anymore.  Text that
>>was supposed to be the same size as the image now may be slightly
>>smaller or larger, which is a problem if you're using it as a
>>background-image on a button, for example, or if it's just placed next
>>to the image and meant to preserve a certain visual rhythm.
>
> Could you outline example code that would exhibit this problem, while
> accounting for the usual problems in this area, like user style sheets
> that set a minimum acceptable font size that is larger than the font
> size specified in author style sheets, or downloadable fonts being un-
> available due to network problems? It seems odd to me that whatever is
> used to address those problems would fail when image sizes become un-
> predictable in the manner you describe.

User style sheets that adjust the font size will mess up the desired
ratios anyway, so a little bit more scaling up or down won't make it
any worse.

Downloadable fonts don't seem to affect this, as it isn't really
font-specific, except insofar as some fonts are slightly larger or
smaller visually when given the same font-size.

This isn't about rescuing broken layout, but rather just maintaining
the intended visual rhythm while still allowing browsers to
unpredictably scale the images a bit.