Re: [css-positioning]? Handling <dialog> positioning - an update

On Mon, Mar 25, 2013 at 7:02 PM, Sylvain Galineau <galineau@adobe.com> wrote:
> On 3/25/13 5:21 PM, "Tab Atkins Jr." <jackalmage@gmail.com> wrote:
>>1. The introduction of a "top layer" for positioned elements. Anything
>>in the top layer is removed from its containing blocks (it's
>>positioned as if it were a sibling of the root), and is z-ordered
>>above anything that's not in the top level.  Within this top level,
>>z-order is resolved as normal.
>
> Can a <dialog> spawn another <dialog>?

Yes, definitely.

>>2. When the <dialog> is shown (to be precise, when it generates a
>>renderer), we generate an anonymous containing block for it.  This
>>containing block is automatically a flexbox, absolutely positioned in
>>the top layer, with top/left/bottom/right given appropriate values to
>>make it fill the viewport.  The <dialog> element itself has all
>>margins "auto" from the UA stylesheet.  This containing block is
>>thrown away when the dialog stops generating a renderer, and
>>regenerated fresh it is becomes shown again.
>>
>>These two changes seem to address all the requirements, and introduce
>>a minimum of magic to CSS.  The concept of "generates a renderer" is
>>already captured by Animations, which start animations when the object
>>generates a box.
>
> Å what do you mean by 'captured by Animations'? If you mean the CSS
> Animations
> spec, what language are your referring to? This sounds more like 'captured
> by WebKit implementation', unless maybe you refer to Web Animations which
> I haven't looked at in a while.

I mean the CSS Animations spec, and I'm referring to the way in which
animations aren't started until the element generates a box, and are
stopped and reset from the beginning when an element loses and then
regains a box.

Whatever hand-wavey concepts we use to capture that concept in
Animations, we'd use the same thing to capture the appropriate
concepts for <dialog>, and whatever eventual author-exposed mechanism
for the same positioning  scheme we come up with.