Re: [css3-transforms] Containing block for abspos

From: Simon Sapin <simon.sapin@exyr.org>
Date: Mon, 25 Mar 2013 12:26:58 +0100
To: "Tab Atkins Jr." <jackalmage@gmail.com>
CC: www-style <www-style@w3.org>
Le 23/03/2013 22:30, Tab Atkins Jr. a écrit :
> On Sat, Mar 23, 2013 at 12:42 PM, Simon Sapin <simon.sapin@exyr.org> wrote:
>> The spec for the 'transform' property says:
>>
>>> Any value other than ‘none’ for the transform results in the creation
>>> of both a stacking context and a containing block. The object acts as
>>> a containing block for fixed positioned descendants.
>>
>> What about absolutely positioned descendants? Are their containing block
>> still the nearest positioned ancestor, or is it the nearest ancestor that is
>> either positioned or transformed?
>
> It's a containing block, so yes.

So far I haven’t seen anywhere else in specs "creating a containing
block" by itself as a concept. Always "Rectangle X is the containing
block of box Y."

Unless there is an established meaning that I’m not aware of, I think
that "creating a containing block" is ambiguous if you don’t say
containing block of what.

--
Simon Sapin