Re: [css3-page] Page-margin boxes layout

From: Simon Sapin <simon.sapin@exyr.org>
Date: Sat, 23 Mar 2013 16:36:16 +0000
To: Bert Bos <bert@w3.org>
CC: WWW Style <www-style@w3.org>, Daniel Glazman <daniel.glazman@disruptive-innovations.com>
Le 22/03/2013 13:51, Bert Bos a écrit :
> Yes, I believe there are some, e.g., all cases where the left box
> isn't on the left or the right box isn't on the right. See cases 11
> and after in the list below.

I believe that most of the cases described (not quoted for brevity) are
hacks for simulating two inline or block boxes (each with different
styles) inside the same page-margin box. I also believe that this is the
kind of use cases that Daniel wants to cover with css4-page. (eg. by
flowing elements into page-margin boxes.) Daniel, is this correct?

(By the way, the same ability would be useful for ::before and ::after.
For example, an image generated by 'content: url(…)' is anonymous, there
is no way to set its width property.)

Other cases (such as a bottom border as wide as the text) can be covered
with new keyword values for 'width' based on intrinsic sizes:
http://dev.w3.org/csswg/css3-sizing/#width-height-keywords

Bert, do you think the cases you mentioned can be covered by either
feature? (multiple boxes with different styles inside a page-margin box,
and 'width: fill-available' etc.) Alternatively, do you have suggestions
on how to tweak the layout algorithm to cover more cases without going
back to quadratic optimization?

--
Simon Sapin