Looking at editor’s drafts or /TR (was: URI tokenization and tabs)

From: Simon Sapin <simon.sapin@exyr.org>
Date: Sat, 23 Mar 2013 16:11:09 +0000
To: liam@w3.org
CC: "Kang-Hao (Kenny) Lu" <kanghaol@oupeng.com>, mikesamuel@gmail.com, www-style list <www-style@w3.org>
Le 23/03/2013 06:19, Liam R E Quin a écrit :
> Documents on dev.w3.org or dvcs.w3.org may or may not represent the
> consensus of a Working Group, and are usually just working drafts not
> ready to be implemented.

I’s not always that simple. In my short time as an editor, I got working
group resolutions before making non-editorial changes to EDs. Reporting
issues in a WD without looking at the ED is just pointless, as they
might have already been fixed. As an implementer, I’ve been told a few
times to look at the ED because a WD had just not been re-published yet.

We published this month a new css3-page WD. Before that, some changes
that had been resolved by the working group had been sitting for
*several years* in the ED, unpublished on /TR.

Sometimes, important details are a bit "hand-wavy" or plain undefined in
CSS 2.1. In such cases, even a not-ready-to-be-implemented Level 3 ED
can be immensely useful to implementers. (See counter styles, intrinsic
sizes, …)

>> I think only one or two of the documents in www.w3.org are "formally"
>> obsoleted,
> In that case they say so, right up at the front, in big letters.

Some documents on /TR are "dangerously outdated". Some, but *not all of
them* are marked as such in big letter. The 2003 css3-syntax WD is an

What’s the process for getting non-content updates to /TR, such as
adding an obsolescence notice? Is it easier than a new WD?

>>   but, you know, they are just old.
> No, documents are still being published on www.w3.org/TR every week.

/TR has some publication every week, but each document is re-published
much less frequently (months to years), even those that are actively
being worked on.

Maybe this would get better with less process and more automation for
updated WDs?

Simon Sapin