Re: [mediaqueries4] New Media Feature "backgrounds" (Proposal)

Le 23/03/2013 14:13, Florian Rivoal a écrit :
> On Fri, 22 Mar 2013 23:59:06 +0100, Tab Atkins Jr. <jackalmage@gmail.com>
> wrote:
>
>> On Fri, Mar 22, 2013 at 12:17 PM, Bill Friedrich <bill0f-y@yahoo.com>
>> wrote:
>>> I think this is a better way to handle background printing than things
>>> like "-webkit-print-color-adjust: exact;" which take away the ability
>>> of user to make the decision.
>>
>> It doesn't, actually - the user should still be able to override, if
>> the browser's UI supplies such an option.  print-color-adjust just
>> controls the default behavior.

Related past discussions in this group:
http://wiki.csswg.org/ideas/print-backgrounds

>> But I think your request for a new MQ is reasonable.
>
> This sounds reasonable to me as well. I have one worry though: even though
> it is the most important change UAs do for printing, disabling backgrounds
> isn't necessarily the only one, and maybe we should try to have something
> a little more generic that can deal with the rest.
>
> But maybe I am over thinking this, as your proposal addresses effectively
> the dominant use case.
>
> Let's talk schedule this for a coming conf call, and if the group agrees,
> I'll add it to the spec.

I think we should have both a way (eg. a property) for authors to
specify a default behavior (users still having the ultimate choice) and
a way (eg. a MQ) to test which behavior is actually used.

There are tricky cases where the relevant property declaration is
qualified by the relevant media feature, but they can be resolved by
just ignoring such declarations.

I don’t know how up-to-date this article is, but apparently browsers
also mess with foreground colors:
http://www.sanbeiji.com/archives/953

I don’t know if there is any use case in controlling/testing separately
what happens to backgrounds and foregrounds.

--
Simon Sapin