Re: Exit criteria in the wake of 3 engines

From: Bjoern Hoehrmann <derhoermi@gmx.net>
Date: Wed, 06 Mar 2013 16:43:43 +0100
To: robert@ocallahan.org
Cc: Paul Irish <paul.irish@gmail.com>, "www-style@w3.org" <www-style@w3.org>
* Robert O'Callahan wrote:
>Giving up on the two-implementations criterion would be a severe blow to
>Web standards. It should be absolutely the last resort, and as Tobie said
>we should wait and see how big a problem this becomes. (Has anyone looked
>back over the last few years and figured out how often Opera's
>implementation was needed to move a spec to Rec?)

Between 2004 and 2011 there has been only a single new Recommendation
that is substantially supported by Firefox and Opera, as far as I can
tell, and that's the one page long "element traversal" specification.
And since then there has only been WOFF, .querySelector, maybe "media
fragments", media queries, and stuff from the 1990s like color:orange
and :root. See http://www.w3.org/TR/tr-status-stds for a complete list.

I have looked through the implementation reports for the CSS WG's RECs
and the most adequate answer to your question seems to be "never".