Re: [css3-page] Add way for webpage to signal UA to disable default footer/header

Le 05/03/2013 21:44, Daniel Glazman a écrit :
> On 04/03/13 17:01, Simon Sapin wrote:
>
>> So another option could be, as you say, to completely disable the
>> default headers and footers in some situation:
>>
>> a. If at least one page-margin box is generated [1] on the current page.
>> (I don’t like the inconsistency between pages of the document)
>>
>> b. … on any page of the same document (costly to implement, you need to
>> look for "propagated" values of the 'page' property in the box tree.)
>>
>> c. If any margin at-rule is used in author stylesheets (simpler)
>>
>> d. With an explicit switch, maybe a new property in the @page context.
>> (Not very elegant.)
>>
>> e. Some other condition?
>>
>> [1] http://dev.w3.org/csswg/css3-page/#generated
>>

>> What do you think?
>
> I think we're on a dangerous path here, where author's settings
> could override user defined settings... In our case, have a document
> tell the UA to override the header/footer settings specified in the
> print dialog. Careful, careful.
>
> In fact, the best option would be to
>
> 0. implement @page and the margin boxes rules
> 1. have browsers implement the print dialog's current 6 margin boxes
>      through a UA @page and page margin boxes
> 2. a radio in the print dialog "let the document specify headers
>      and footers" and another radio "override document headers/footers"
>
> That way all is based on the cascade and the user can always have
> all the various settings applied.

How about this? The user still ultimately has control on what headers
and footers are printed, but <some condition, see above> only changes
the default.

This issue is similar to page size / paper size. Authors can request a
particular size with eg. @page { size: A3 }, but the printer might not
have such paper, or the user might want to override it.

http://dev.w3.org/csswg/css3-page/#renderingpages
http://dev.w3.org/csswg/css3-page/#transfer-possibilities

In both cases, I don’t think the spec should have normative requirements
for UAs, only suggestions.

--
Simon Sapin