Re: [css3-multicol] overflow inside multicol elements

From: James Holderness <j4_james@hotmail.com>
Date: Tue, 5 Mar 2013 09:59:40 +0000
To: <robert@ocallahan.org>, "David Hyatt" <hyatt@apple.com>
CC: "Alan Stearns" <stearns@adobe.com>, <www-style@w3.org>
> Has anyone got any actual use-cases for vertical relative positioning in
> multicol? The only thing I can think of off the top of my head is
> adjusting
> vertical positioning within a line, i.e. some kind of
> superscript/subscript
> hack, and for that use-case you definitely don't want the positioned stuff
> to move to the next column.

A while back we had a client that wanted a layout for their magazine that
consisted of a number of article snippets, each having a heading and a bunch
of paragraphs. The idea was that each snippet would start in a new column,
and the heading would be pulled up out of the column flow.

The plan was to use a relative position to move the heading up, and add a
negative bottom margin to pull up the following paragraphs.

At the time I don't think we had working column breaks, so it was probably
more complicated than that, but that was the general idea.

I believe in the end we just gave up on that layout and left the headings
inline.

Regards
James