Re: [css3-break] How should this break? (breaks in the margin area)

Mihai Balan a écrit :
> Hello Elika, Rossen & everybody,
>
> I have a question regarding an edge-case for unforced breaks that
> doesn’t seem to be specified anywhere. What happens when an unforced
> break occurs in the middle of the margin of the last child of a block
> container that has a border? You can see this scenario in [1], with
> multi-col. Should the part of the margin*after*  the break be
> discarded (Gecko[2]) or should it be preserved (WebKit[3],
> Opera[4])? And more importantly, what part of this spec (if any)
> describes this case?
>
> Thanks in advance,
> Mihai
>
> [1] https://dl.dropbox.com/s/f5yn1dsd5tau9nu/break-big-margin-in-columns.html
> [2] https://dl.dropbox.com/s/5hjm3cfnqw4djoi/firefox.png
> [3] https://dl.dropbox.com/s/xuddm1zbsnof6o5/Chrome.png
> [4] https://dl.dropbox.com/s/a0jusfj4zdqadxz/Opera.png

Hi,

I believe that a strict reading of css3-break gives no break opportunity
within this margin: it is neither Class 1 (between siblings) Class 2
(between line boxes) nor Class 3 (no gap between the margin edge of the
last child and the content edge of the container.)

A "correct" rendering would find an earlier break between line boxes of
the paragraph.

Usually, margin collapsing means that big margins end up between
margin collapsing.

Should the spec add more break opportunities for this case? Or is my
reading wrong?

--
Simon Sapin