Re: [CSS4 color][CSS4 transition] color pre-multiplied vs non pre-multiplied was (Re: [CSSWG] Minutes TPAC Tue 2012-10-30 AM I: Abstract Directions, Transforms, Transitions)

From: Rik Cabanier <cabanier@gmail.com>
Date: Fri, 1 Mar 2013 09:38:33 -0800
To: Nicolas Robidoux <nicolas.robidoux@gmail.com>
Cc: Brad Kemper <brad.kemper@gmail.com>, "Tab Atkins Jr." <jackalmage@gmail.com>, Liam Quin <liam@w3.org>, "www-style@w3.org" <www-style@w3.org>
On Fri, Mar 1, 2013 at 5:57 AM, Nicolas Robidoux <nicolas.robidoux@gmail.com
> wrote:

> 1) It would appear that regardless of whether the gradient is >>computed<<
> in pre- or non-pre, the >>specification<< of the starting, ending and stop
> colors should be in non-pre.

yes, that is the case. Colors are always specified in non-premultiplied.

> 2) Maybe there should be some way to specify whether the gradient should
> be computed in linear light, in perceptual light, or taking the current
> color space as is.

yes. It would be nice if we could specify that gradients are interpolated
in an Lab (or other non-sRGB) colorspace.

> No need to correct me. I know that the probability that I am missing
> something (including "everybody knows this") is high.

No worries. People in general don't know how gradients and especially
colorspaces work so it's good that you bring this up.