Re: lazy loading for images via css

On Sat, Jun 29, 2013 at 5:12 AM, Simon Sapin <simon.sapin@exyr.org> wrote:

> Le 29/06/2013 03:43, Felipe Nascimento de Moura a écrit :
>
>  Therefore, I think it would be highly adopted by developers if browsers
>> could support all
>> background-load-method: postponed;
>> background-image: url(mygreatestphoto.jpg) postponed;
>> background-image: image(postponed "foo.png");
>>

> I think we’d only want the last one. First, redundant features that do
> exactly the same thing should be avoided.
>
> But more importantly it’s not just background images: CSS as more and more
> places where images are used: list-style-image, border-image, content, … We
> don’t want to define additional properties or syntax for each of them.
> Adding stuff in image() has the advantage of being self-contained.

I understand, but this way we would not be able to say that all the div's
backgrounds in the page are supposed to load their images in the future!
That way, we would have to add that property to every single element that
has a background image!
Giving support to the first and third options, would at least help the "C"
of CSS :)
About redundant features, I think it is useful, when well applied, for
example:

.someElements{
    border: solid 3px green;
}
/* but images are different */
img.someElements{
    border-color: blue;
}
.someElements:hover{
    border-left-color: red;
}

These are redundant features, although, developers will always find useful
ways to use it.

> --
> Simon Sapin

About the Ads...there will possibly be companies paying less for ads that
are loaded after the main content...is it bad?
It would be better for users...browser (or plugins) could work with it
too(let's say, apply it to elements in all pages to save some network band)
and would allow Ad providers to offer different contracts and options.

Regards.

--
*Felipe N. Moura*
Senior Web Developer

Website:  http://felipenmoura.org
 Twitter:    @felipenmoura <http://twitter.com/felipenmoura>
LinkedIn: http://goo.gl/qGmq

Meet some of my projects:
BrazilJS Conference <http://braziljs.com.br/>  |  BrazilJS
Foundation<http://braziljs.org>
|  Power Polygon <http://github.com/braziljs/power-polygon>  |
TheWebMind<http://thewebmind.org/>  |
PHPDevBar<https://addons.mozilla.org/pt-BR/firefox/addon/php-developer-toolbar/>
LinuxUser #508332
*Changing  the  world*  is the least I expect from  myself!