Re: [cssom] Author-defined at-rules

From: Simon Sapin <simon.sapin@exyr.org>
Date: Sat, 29 Jun 2013 09:47:09 +0100
To: Jon Rimmer <jon.rimmer@gmail.com>
CC: www-style list <www-style@w3.org>
Le 29/06/2013 01:52, Jon Rimmer a écrit :
> Frankly, I think it's less a question of "why allow this?" and more "why
> not?".

Every new feature has a cost in deciding what it is exactly, writing a
spec, writing tests, implementing it (many times), maintaining it, etc.

Again, I sympathize with everything you say about extensibility, but I
am not really moved by this specific proposal. If this is just about
storing stuff in CSS files remember that you can have whole at-rules in
variables in you feel like it:

#panel {
   var-jtimeline: bounce {
     0s {
         top: 10px !timing(ease)
     }

     1s {
         top: 10px !timing(ease)
     }
   }
}

I also expect that variables will make pollyfills easier, in that they
don’t need a full CSS parser anymore.

--
Simon Sapin