Re: [css-masking] 'mask: none' clear all masking operations

On 06/26/2013 12:57 PM, Dirk Schulze wrote:

> Thinking about your proposal more, I actually take my response back
> and claim the opposite :). What about the following structure:
>
>   mask
>    +-- mask-layers
>    |    +--mask-layer-image
>    |    +--mask-layer-position
>    |    +--mask-layer-repeat
>    |    etc.
>    +-- mask-element
>    +-- mask-box
>         +--mask-box-source
>         +--mask-box-slice
>         +--mask-box-repeat
>         etc.
>
> mask-element: <url> [alpha | luminance]? | none
>
> mask: <mask-element>
>
> * mask-element is separated of mask-layers.
> * mask-layer, mask-box just reference CSS Images
> * mask shorthand overrides all properties of mask-layer, mask-element, mask-box
> * mask syntax does the same as mask-element
>
> Would that be reasonable?

Yes, it's totally reasonable.

However, I am wondering if we can allow a bit more into the shorthand,
e.g.

   mask: <mask-element> | <mask-layer>;

with the added provision that a <url> represents <mask-element>
and other forms of <image> represent a mask-layer. (I'm not 100%
sure that works, but maybe it works.)

I still don't understand, btw, why we can't use SVG masks in the
mask-layers feature?

~fantasai