Re: [css-masking] 'mask: none' clear all masking operations

On 06/26/2013 11:38 AM, Dirk Schulze wrote:

> On Jun 26, 2013, at 10:56 AM, fantasai <fantasai.lists@inkedblade.net> wrote:

>>> Right, I did not meant to question that it is possible. If we
>>> follow this proposal, I would suggest:
>>> - 'mask' shorthand can just reference an SVG Mask or disable
>>>    masking entirely. 'mask-layer' and 'mask-box' can just
>>>   reference CSS Images. This would solve the SVG resource or
>>>   CSS Image detection problem in a different way for masking.
>>
>> Well, it's fairly uncommon to have a CSS shorthand that has
>> capabilities not expressed via its longhands. (We only have
>> one example I know of, the UI font keywords, and we're not
>> especially happy with those IIRC.)
>
> That seems to be the case for border. Authors can not set border-image
> with border, but border still affects border-image. I suggested doing the same.

No, you've got this a bit mixed up. The 'border' shorthand sets
'border-image'. There just isn't syntax to set it to anything
other than 'none'. No problem. The relationship of the two
properties is standard shorthand-longhand.

What you're proposing is that 'mask' set a longhand property
that doesn't exist. *That* is problematic. So my suggestion
is to create a longhand for it.

~fantasai