Re: [css-masking] 'mask: none' clear all masking operations

On Jun 25, 2013, at 4:33 PM, fantasai <fantasai.lists@inkedblade.net> wrote:

> On 06/25/2013 04:20 PM, Dirk Schulze wrote:
>> If fantasai is on the call tomorrow, I would like to discuss mask/mask-box-image
>> shorthand and if/how it is possible to reset all masking operations with mask: none.
>
> You make a shorthand tree like this:
>
>   mask
>    +-- mask-layers
>    |    +--mask-layer-image
>    |    +--mask-layer-position
>    |    +--mask-layer-repeat
>    |    etc.
>    +-- mask-box
>         +--mask-box-source
>         +--mask-box-slice
>         +--mask-box-repeat
>         etc.

Right, I did not meant to question that it is possible. If we follow this proposal, I would suggest:
- 'mask' shorthand can just reference an SVG Mask or disable masking entirely. 'mask-layer' and 'mask-box' can just reference CSS Images.
This would solve the SVG resource or CSS Image detection problem in a different way for masking.

However, an uber-shorthand also has some drawbacks. It will be significant more difficult to understand how masking works. The author needs to know that 'mask' is a shorthand, which can not do everything that the longhand properties can do. (To be honest, I never thought about border as a shorthand for other shorthands but with limited control before you mentioned it.) The implementation and maintenance cost might increase as well.

Greetings,
Dirk