[css3-text] text-justify should apply to inline elements

From: John Daggett <jdaggett@mozilla.com>
Date: Sun, 16 Jun 2013 16:31:58 -0700 (PDT)
To: www-style list <www-style@w3.org>

http://dev.w3.org/csswg/css-text/#justification

The CSS3 Text model of text justification is that precise behavior
'text-align: justify' is determined by the value of the 'text-justify'
property.  The "Applies to" field of 'text-align' says "block
containers" while for 'text-justify' it says "block containers and,
optionally, inline elements".  The property description for
'text-justify' also has the following sentence:

# The property applies to block containers, but the UA may (but is not
# required to) also support it on inline elements.

Other than that, no hint is given as to how an inline element would
perform justification.

I don't know what the motivation was behind wanting to apply to
justification to inline elements but I don't think there are
sufficient constraints to allow justification for inline elements.
Having 'text-align' and 'text-justify' apply to different sets of
elements seems inconsistent.

So I would suggest making 'text-justify' only apply to block
container.

Cheers,

John Daggett