Re: [css3-text] Issues that need i18n help

From: Glenn Adams <glenn@skynav.com>
Date: Sun, 16 Jun 2013 08:46:58 +0800
To: fantasai <fantasai.lists@inkedblade.net>
Cc: WWW International <www-international@w3.org>, CJK discussion <public-i18n-cjk@w3.org>, "www-style@w3.org" <www-style@w3.org>
On Fri, Jun 14, 2013 at 7:18 PM, fantasai <fantasai.lists@inkedblade.net>wrote:

> Issue 4: The 'letter-spacing' property as currently implemented puts
> space between Arabic letters. Does this make sense? Should there be
> some other behavior instead (e.g. suppressing letter-spacing)?
>   http://dev.w3.org/csswg/css-**text/#letter-spacing<http://dev.w3.org/csswg/css-text/#letter-spacing>
>
> data:text/html;charset=utf-8;**base64,PCFET0NUWVBFIGh0bWw%**
> 2BDQo8cCBzdHlsZT0ibGV0dGVyLXNw**YWNpbmc6IDFlbSI%**
> 2B2qnZhduMINmG2YjYtNiq2YbZhiDY**udix2KjbjA%3D%3D

I can't think of any publishing use case with Arabic script that would use
this behavior. Connected glyphs should always remain connected. Even when
letters are pronounced individually, such as with Muqatta'at (مقطعات‎) ,
they are still written in connected form.

The only case where I could see permitting letter spacing would be if there
is an intervening ZERO-WIDTH NON-JOINER (U+200C).