Re: [selectors4] Multiple subject indicators

From: François REMY <francois.remy.dev@outlook.com>
Date: Thu, 13 Jun 2013 14:17:49 +0200
To: "Lea Verou" <lea@w3.org>, "www-style list" <www-style@w3.org>
Cc: <adrian@featurist.co.uk>
> [...] the behaviour of CSS Selectors is undefined when
> multiple subject indicators [1] are specified. [...]
>
> I guess there are two reasonable things to do here:
>
> a) The selector is invalid and the entire rule is discarded per regular
> CSS rules
> b) The last subject wins

I've no strong opinion on this, but I wonder why you didn't include a third
option:

   (c) both subjects are valid ('!ul + !p img' selects both the 'ul' and the
'p')

This is actually the same as '!ul + p img, ul + !p img' but is shorter.

I've been thinking aloud just now, and found one case where I could have
used this:

    article > !h2 ~ !* { display: none; }

which would only display the introductory paragraphs of a blog post
(provided that like me you use an H2 when you enter more details)

    article
        h2