Re: [css3-shapes] Applicability of shapes

On 7/11/13 4:54 PM, "Rossen Atanassov" <Rossen.Atanassov@microsoft.com>
wrote:

>The current section 3.4.1. of shapes specifies that they apply to floats
>only. This is too restrictive and it assumes that implementations of the
>spec arenšt implementing exclusions. We should revert this so that shapes
>apply to any block-level-block.
> This will allow implementations of shapes only to have the effect on
>floats. For implementations that also support exclusions the effect will
>apply to both floats and exclusions (block-level-blocks).
>
>Thanks,
>Rossen

There is a note that mentions that shape-outside defines the exclusion
area of an exclusion, if both exclusions and shapes are implemented.
You're correct that the 'applies to' line doesn't reflect this, though.

The main thing is that I wanted to avoid a normative dependence on
exclusions in shapes (and vice-versa), at least until one or the other of
the specifications progressed. My plan was to add the dependency to the
slower spec at that point.

If we can add 'block-level elements' to the applies to line for
shape-outside, with a description of what this means (it applies but does
nothing if the element is not an exclusion or float, but if the element is
an exclusion it defines the exclusion area) - all without adding a
normative dependency - then I'm OK with the change.

Thanks,

Alan