Re: inline-block baseline when the baseline would be outside of the element

From: Boris Zbarsky <bzbarsky@MIT.EDU>
Date: Wed, 10 Jul 2013 11:24:56 -0400
To: www-style@w3.org
On 7/10/13 11:20 AM, Christian Biesinger wrote:
> PS: I just realized that in Firefox, if I add overflow: hidden;, then
> the baseline changes! In other words: the overflow setting affects the
> positioning of the box. That also seems weird?

 From http://www.w3.org/TR/CSS21/visudet.html#line-height last paragraph:

   The baseline of an 'inline-block' is the baseline of its last line
   box in the normal flow, unless it has either no in-flow line boxes or
   if its 'overflow' property has a computed value other than 'visible',
   in which case the baseline is the bottom margin edge.

The fact that WebKit does not do that is a longstanding issue in WebKit.

-Boris