Re: [css3-text] Balance Text proposal: shrinking containers

From: Peter Moulder <peter.moulder@monash.edu>
Date: Thu, 31 Jan 2013 19:47:43 +1100
To: www-style@w3.org
If one were to propose a feature that allowed blocks to shrink to fit the
actual line widths, then:

It occurs to me that this can introduce a circular dependency in width
calculations between parent and children (via width of containing block).
However, circularities don't occur much in the main use cases given so far,
so I think it's fine to continue CSS 2.1's approach to width circularities
if such a feature were introduced:

  # If the containing block's width depends on this element's width, then
  # the resulting layout is undefined in CSS 2.1.

pjrm.