Re: A proposed standard for CSS-controlled sentence spacing

From: Simon Sapin <simon.sapin@kozea.fr>
Date: Fri, 11 Jan 2013 14:36:14 +0100
To: liam@w3.org
Le 11/01/2013 01:33, Liam R E Quin a écrit :
> On Fri, 2013-01-11 at 13:14 +1300, Robert O'Callahan wrote:
>> I believe that the habit of typing two spaces after the end of a sentence
>> was originally a workaround for lack of proportional letter spacing.
> A lot of many people believe this, although in fact the practice,
> sometimes included in the term French Spacing, predates the typewriter.

FWIW, (having never really studied typography,) I never heard about
spacing between sentences being different from any other space in French
(my native language.)

The first I heard about double spaces was about writing English in
computers.

But maybe French Spacing (with capitals) is a thing unrelated to the
French language?

--
Simon Sapin