Re: [css3-exclusions] Few questions regarding text-indent and shapes bounding box

From: Alan Stearns <stearns@adobe.com>
Date: Wed, 2 Jan 2013 14:35:58 -0800
To: srirama chandra sekhar mogali <srirama179@gmail.com>, "www-style@w3.org" <www-style@w3.org>
CC: Praveen Munukutla <mvssspraveen@gmail.com>, "sagar.sahu127@gmail.com" <sagar.sahu127@gmail.com>
On 1/2/13 5:15 AM, "srirama chandra sekhar mogali" <srirama179@gmail.com>
wrote:

>Hi All,
>
>We have some doubts regarding text-indent and shape's bounding box when
>the shape exceeds the containing block size.

Thanks for the questions!

>1) When an exclusion content or shape content has text-indent css
>property using percentages, how the percentage value should be resovled ?
>Whether we need to use line-width of the bounding box or the line-width
>of the shape?

Exclusions and Shapes do not affect how any other properties evaluate
percentage values. The text-indent property in particular is still a
percentage of the containing block's logical width [1]. If it helps, think
of a change in line width from an exclusion or a shape-inside as something
similar to a change in line width from a normal float. Even though lines
can be shortened by an adjacent float, a text-indent percentage value will
not be affected.

>2) If an exclusion box has a shape defined using shape-outside, and the
>shape is bigger than the bounding box (ex: shape-outside: circle(50%,
>50%, 80%)), the content should wrap around the bounding box or the shape?

Content affected by that exclusion's shape (content in a wrapping context
that includes that shape's exclusion area) will wrap around the shape of
the exclusion, not the bounding box of the exclusion. This is the case
with shape-outsides larger than the bounding box and smaller than the
bounding box.

Alan

[1] http://dev.w3.org/csswg/css3-text/#text-indent