Re: [css-variables] editorial nits/suggestions

On Tue, Feb 26, 2013 at 8:06 PM, John Daggett <jdaggett@mozilla.com> wrote:
> In section 2:
>
>> Unlike other CSS properties, custom properties are case-sensitive.
>
> I think you want to say "custom property names are case-sensitive",
> since the values of these properties remain case-insensitive as per
> general CSS property values.

Actually, the values should stay case-sensitive as well - they're all
user-defined idents and the like, after all.  When substituted into a
normal property, we stop caring about case, of course.

> In this section, the first example is an example of a rare syntax
> error.  Better to show a simple example of variable definition first
> and show the syntax error later on.

Good idea.  I've done so.

> After Example 1 is text that reads:
>
>   The <value> in its grammar corresponds to the "value" production in
>   CSS 2.1 Chapter 4.1 [CSS21], while <CDO> and <CDC> correspond to the
>   tokens of the same name from the same chapter (they represent HTML
>   comments showing up in CSS text - "<!--" and "").
>
> Looks like you need to escape something, the last "" should be "-->", right?

Actually, the --> just *disappeared* somehow.  I've added it back.

> Example 6 begins with "{.invalid-example}".  Authoring turd?

Yes.  Fixed.

> In section 3, variable use and the fallback parameter are introduced
> but the first example is again a weird syntax error.  Better to have a
> simple example illustrating a basic use case (e.g. color use across
> multiple elements).  Then another simple example showing how the
> fallback parameter works, for example:
>
>   :root {
>     var-grad: tabs-amazing-gradient(to bottom right, orange, white);
>   }
>   background: var(grad, linear-gradient(to bottom right, orange, white));
>
> After these examples of practical use, then get into the "bad syntax"
> examples.

Done.

>> Acknowledgments == <empty>
>
> I think it would be nice to acknowledge all those who tried and
> struggled to define a CSS variables feature in the past, since this effort
> is a synthesis and/or reaction to those efforts.  Also, to acknowledge the
> influences that led to the current proposal (e.g. HTML5 data- attributes?),
> along with anyone that chimed in with interesting ideas or counterproposals.
> And don't forget to thank your mother, she made it all possible. ;)

Yeah, I need to fill in acks before it gets published permanently.