Re: [CSS4 color][CSS4 transition] color pre-multiplied vs non pre-multiplied was (Re: [CSSWG] Minutes TPAC Tue 2012-10-30 AM I: Abstract Directions, Transforms, Transitions)

From: Dirk Schulze <dschulze@adobe.com>
Date: Tue, 26 Feb 2013 15:47:14 -0800
To: "Tab Atkins Jr." <jackalmage@gmail.com>
CC: Rik Cabanier <cabanier@gmail.com>, "www-style@w3.org" <www-style@w3.org>

On Feb 26, 2013, at 2:12 PM, Tab Atkins Jr. <jackalmage@gmail.com> wrote:

> On Tue, Feb 26, 2013 at 2:05 PM, Rik Cabanier <cabanier@gmail.com> wrote:
>> I would like to follow up on this.
>> The spec currently states that colors need to be premultiplied but only IE
>> implements it that way.
>>
>> Can we fix the spec to not make gradients premultiplied and instead special
>> case the 'transparent' keyword?
>
> Our intention is still to keep it premultiplied.  Some impls are slow
> to update to it, but they intend to switch over.

As long as it is possible for them. Reading some previous mails on this thread I got the impression that it isn't for some. See Simon's mail:

""
We rely on Core Graphics to render gradients on Mac, and that can't do pre-multiplied.
""

The intention to do something is not enough sometimes.

Greetings,
Dirk