Re: [CSS4 color][CSS4 transition] color pre-multiplied vs non pre-multiplied was (Re: [CSSWG] Minutes TPAC Tue 2012-10-30 AM I: Abstract Directions, Transforms, Transitions)

On Tue, Feb 26, 2013 at 3:47 PM, Dirk Schulze <dschulze@adobe.com> wrote:

> On Feb 26, 2013, at 2:12 PM, Tab Atkins Jr. <jackalmage@gmail.com> wrote:
>
> > On Tue, Feb 26, 2013 at 2:05 PM, Rik Cabanier <cabanier@gmail.com>
> wrote:
> >> I would like to follow up on this.
> >> The spec currently states that colors need to be premultiplied but only
> IE
> >> implements it that way.
> >>
> >> Can we fix the spec to not make gradients premultiplied and instead
> special
> >> case the 'transparent' keyword?
> >
> > Our intention is still to keep it premultiplied.  Some impls are slow
> > to update to it, but they intend to switch over.
>
> As long as it is possible for them. Reading some previous mails on this
> thread I got the impression that it isn't for some. See Simon's mail:
>
> ""
> We rely on Core Graphics to render gradients on Mac, and that can't do
> pre-multiplied.
> ""
>
> The intention to do something is not enough sometimes.

Exactly.
Safari on OSX and iOS won't be able to implement this.
Doesn't FireFox use Core Graphics on the mac too? If so, they also won't be
able to fix it.