Re: [css4-images] Add format() hints to image()

From: Brad Kemper <brad.kemper@gmail.com>
Date: Tue, 19 Feb 2013 09:44:47 -0800
To: Jake Archibald <jaffathecake@gmail.com>
On Feb 19, 2013, at 2:51 AM, Jake Archibald <jaffathecake@gmail.com> wrote:

> Thinking about bmp, tiff, tga, eps again, I'm not sure there's a
> use-case there. True, they're supported by some software (eg Prince),
> but if you're using them you tend to be writing for a specific UA, so
> you don't really need format negotiation. Is that fair to say?

I'm not sure it is. I don't think Prince is the only player in that space, or is always necessarily forever dominant. It would be useful, I imagine, to have a single file that could be used for ePub that could also be used for printing hard bound books, without necessarily knowing what software the publisher uses to rip the HTML and CSS.