Re: [css-variables] Different syntax for variable definition and use

From: Simon Sapin <simon.sapin@kozea.fr>
Date: Sun, 17 Feb 2013 19:56:53 +0100
To: "Jens O. Meiert" <jens@meiert.com>
CC: www-style@w3.org
Le 17/02/2013 06:24, Jens O. Meiert a écrit :
> It seems CSS variables remain based on var-foo/var(foo). I stick to my
> argument that this is counter-intuitive.
>
> I don’t intend to argue against the current syntax forever, but I
> still like to ask, did we explore other syntactical options, like e.g.
> the following?
>
> foo { [var]: 20 }
> bar { line-height: [var]px }
>
> Generally, could someone—no offense, but maybe not Tab :)—explain why
> we are left with what we have now? I find it hard to believe that we
> have no options that are more usable, i.e. user-friendly.

The main argument is not changing the syntax for declarations:

    <name> whitespace* ':' <value>

… where <value> can be anything, but <name> can only be a single ident
token.

I don’t think that the Core Grammar is really frozen (we’ve accepted
multiple changes already, however minor.) But there is some resistance
in changing such a fundamental concept as what is a "declaration".

Having worked on multiple parser implementations, I personally feel
that, although non-trivial, such a change would be completely doable.
There is no web-compat issue either: the error recovery rules ensure
that old UAs drop declarations they don’t understand. It might be worth
it if we have a vastly superior syntax proposal.

There is some agreement that the "var" prefix/function name could be
changed, though.

Cheers,
--
Simon Sapin