Re: [css4-images] Add format() hints to image()

On 15 February 2013 11:37, Nicholas Shanks <nickshanks@nickshanks.com> wrote:
> I would rather see:
>
> jpeg-xr
> png-anim
>
> than "jxr" and "apng".

I went for jxr & apng because they're separate formats rather than a
feature of jpeg/png that has limited support. Eg, if we were pitching
this in the days before IE7 I'd be suggesting png-alpha so browsers
could explicitly flag they support png with an alpha channel. I don't
have strong views here though.

> also, since mpo, jpeg-2000 and jpeg-xr are all supported by only one client
> each, there's I think they can be left out of a 'critical' set,

Isn't that the use-case? Being able to do format('png') is pretty much
redundant as we expect png to be supported by all user agents. I
wouldn't expect to see format('png') in production code, but we should
include it in the list because format('png') shouldn't fail.

format('webp')
format('mpo')
format('jxr')
etc are useful because they're web-friendly formats that have patchy
support across browsers.

background: image('whatever.mpo' format('mpo'), 'whatever.jpg');

...gives a 3d experience to browsers that support it, but doesn't
flat-out fail in browsers that don't.

Didn't realise jpeg2000 was supported in Safari. It should be in the list.