Re: [css4-images] Add format() hints to image()

From: Jake Archibald <jaffathecake@gmail.com>
Date: Fri, 15 Feb 2013 09:48:35 +0000
To: "Tab Atkins Jr." <jackalmage@gmail.com>
On 14 February 2013 17:32, Tab Atkins Jr. <jackalmage@gmail.com> wrote:
> Do you have any idea what set of format strings we should initially support?

gif
jpeg
png
webp
svg
mpo (3d format support by DS browser)
jxr (jpeg xr, supported in IE)

The above seems like the minimum set. I don't think we need any
subsets of those, although SVG could be a likely candidate if you
wanted to be explicit about SMIL. With something as complex as SVG,
it's probably better do check for basic support then do the rest of
the feature detection in the SVG file itself.

I don't think we need to include formats that aren't optimised for the
web, such as bmp, tiff, tga, eps etc. I didn't include jpeg2000 as no
one seems interested in supporting it.