RE: [css-variables] Last call comments

On Mon, 2013-02-11 at 22:06 +0100, François REMY wrote:
> [...]The var() notation is a *reference* or a *data binding* to a
> custom property, in no case a "variable". In the programming language
> world, a variable is a box referencable statically via a memory
> address relative to the stack. When you reference something
> dynamically this is not a variable, this is a property, because it's
> relative to a heap address, the address of the object where the data
> belong.
> I maintain that calling var() a variable is a mistake.

The declarative and functional programming communities have used
"variable" in the sense of mathematics, since the 1960s, and still use
the word that way.

In algebra, saying,
  x = y + z
  x = x + 1
is a nonsense.

It's not about memory addresses or stacks or heaps, and it's not about
compile-time or runtime.

Having said that, it's a common cause of confusion - we get it in XSLT
and XQuery too, which use mathematical-style variables.

User-Defined Properties might be easier for people to grok.

Liam

The barefoot typographer.