Re: [css4-page] Cross-references

From: Chris Lilley <chris@w3.org>
Date: Fri, 8 Feb 2013 10:57:51 +0100
To: Simon Sapin <simon.sapin@kozea.fr>
CC: Daniel Glazman <daniel.glazman@disruptive-innovations.com>, www-style list <www-style@w3.org>
Hello Simon,

> Context:
> http://krijnhoetmer.nl/irc-logs/css/20130205#l-670

> Daniel, in Tucson you talked about more powerful page headers/footers,
> bookmarks, footnotes, etc. Another feature that has a big demand for
> printing is cross-references. These allow, among other things, tables of
> contents with automatic page numbers.

Yes.

One  of  the  things  that  often stops me using css-generated list or
header numbering (and instead to hard-code the numbers in the content)
is the need to refer to them in prose:

  as described in section 4.2
  item 3 in the list above demonstrates

Note that these are all same-document references[1].

[1] I imagine it will be another 10 years before we can make a robust
but autonumbered reference from chapter5.html to section 2.7.4 of
chapter2.html, both using stylesheet-generated numbering.

--
Best regards,