Re: [css3-syntax] Style rules as a syntactic construct vs. selector + declarations that apply to elements

From: Simon Sapin <simon.sapin@kozea.fr>
Date: Thu, 07 Feb 2013 09:17:41 -0700
To: "Tab Atkins Jr." <jackalmage@gmail.com>
CC: www-style list <www-style@w3.org>
Le 07/02/2013 08:43, Tab Atkins Jr. a écrit :
> On Thu, Feb 7, 2013 at 12:22 AM, Simon Sapin <simon.sapin@kozea.fr> wrote:
>> Hi,
>>
>> Proposed changes
>> ----------------
>>
>> * Maybe rename "style rule" to something that only reflect the syntax and
>> not the semantics. Ideas for the name? Tab had "qualified declaration
>> block".
>
> I want something that ends in "rule", for the parallel naming.
> However, "qualified rule" sounds okay, and not *too* long.

I’ll go with that unless we get a better idea.

>> * Rename "selector" (in Syntax only) to "X prelude", where X is the result
>> of the above. This parallels nicely with "at-rule prelude".
>
> Yes, once we decide on the new name, I'll switch over to just using
> "prelude" for everything.

"Qualified rule prelude". Sounds okay.

>> * Remove the definition of X being a Selector + declarations that apply to
>> elements.
>> * For top-level style rules, have that definitions in css3-cascade.
>> (css3-animation and css3-conditional already define how to interpret nested
>> stuff with the style rule syntax.)
>
> Hm, I'd want to see details of what you're proposing here.

The general idea is to separate the syntactic to-be-renamed thing
(called style rule in
http://dev.w3.org/csswg/css3-syntax/Diagrams.src.html#parsing ) from its
meaning/semantics. The meaning is often, but not always, a Selector and
a block of property declarations that apply to elements.

Specifically, this is about the parts of section 2 that talk about
selectors, elements and properties. I’ll edit something up, that’s the
point of pull requests :)

--
Simon Sapin