Re: box-shadow-[top, right, left, bottom]

On Feb 6, 2013, at 12:05 AM, Behrang Saeedzadeh <behrangsa@gmail.com> wrote:

> Hi,
>
> I thought it worths to open another thread for discussing adding support for box-shadow-[top, right, left, bottom].
>
> This has been discussed in these two threads before:
>
> * http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/www-style/2012Dec/0029.html
> * http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/www-style/2013Jan/0600.html
>
> Any suggestions?

Adding more threads on the same exact topic does not improve anything.

A blend from one color to transparent in a single direction, which doesn't go around corners or base the starting starting and ending points on the entire size and  the shape of the element is called a linear gradient. The rate of blend between two color stops may be more even in a gradient, but an algorithmic progression can be simulated well enough over small spaces by adding more stops, as can spread.

It seems like you just like the syntax of box-shadow to be be useable in more linear-gradient-like situations. But that doesn't seem like a good enough reason to complicate box-shadow, when there are already very workable solutions to your problem. Opening the same subject in multiple threads is not the answer to lack of interest.