Re: [css-syntax] value grammar, <value> type and browser implementations

From: L. David Baron <dbaron@dbaron.org>
Date: Tue, 5 Feb 2013 20:25:26 -0700
To: François REMY <francois.remy.dev@outlook.com>
Cc: Simon Sapin <simon.sapin@kozea.fr>, "Tab Atkins Jr." <jackalmage@gmail.com>, www-style list <www-style@w3.org>
On Tuesday 2013-02-05 21:55 +0100, François REMY wrote:
> I would prefer the grammar of a property value to accept any token
> inside a block except block terminators <},],)> and not just a
> limited subset of tokens. But if there's a good reason to limit
> the subset, that's fine.

It looks to me like the only things forbidden inside of a block
inside of a value by
http://www.w3.org/TR/CSS21/syndata.html#tokenization are:
  1. unmatched }, ], and )
  2. {, [, and ( without a matching pair later
  3. BAD_STRING, BAD_URI, and BAD_COMMENT

Is the intent of your comment to suggest that (2) and (3), that is,
opening constructs that don't have a matching closing construct,
should be allowed within value?

Or are there other differences that I'm missing?

-David