[css3-page] Media Queries based on the page size

From: Simon Sapin <simon.sapin@kozea.fr>
Date: Sat, 02 Feb 2013 19:09:17 +0100
To: www-style <www-style@w3.org>
CC: fantasai <fantasai@inkedblade.net>
Hi,

§8.1 of css3-page says
> Media queries do not honor ‘size’: they assume the paper size that
> would be chosen if no @page rules were specified.

This is consistent with §2 of css3-mediaqueries:
> To avoid circular dependencies, it is never necessary to apply the
> style sheet in order to evaluate expressions.

However, css3-page has an inline issue:
> It would be useful if media queries could respond at least to sizes
> specified on an unqualified @page.

See also https://www.w3.org/Style/CSS/Tracker/issues/39

I agree this would be nice in simple cases, but it would be a clear
layering violation and against the principle set in css3-mediaqueries.
Even ignoring that, the best we could do is to have MQs based on the
size of the first page, while subsequent pages might have a different size.

I propose resolving this issue with no change. MQs are based on the
default page size.

--
Simon Sapin