[css-masking] clip-path with invalid url (was: Re: [css-masking] Comments)

From: Dirk Schulze <dschulze@adobe.com>
Date: Wed, 11 Dec 2013 07:46:49 -0800
To: fantasai <fantasai.lists@inkedblade.net>

On Dec 11, 2013, at 11:46 AM, fantasai <fantasai.lists@inkedblade.net> wrote:

>   6. # If the URI reference is not valid [...], no clipping is applied.
>      Please clarify whether a stacking context is still created
>      or whether the behavior is equivalent to specifying 'none'.

The spec says [1]:

“”
A computed value of other than none results in the creation of a stacking context [CSS21] the same way that CSS opacity [CSS3COLOR] does.

If the URI reference is not valid (e.g it points to an object that doesn’t exist or the object is not a <clipPath> element), no clipping is applied.
“”

It indeed could be clarified if a stacking context is created or not. For mask-image and mask-box-image-source the spec implies that a masking layer is created, but the element not masked - a stacking context is created.

I would say a stacking context should be created to match the behavior but think that implementations don’t do that currently. I would like to base the decision on the current implemented behavior.

Greetings,
Dirk

[1] http://www.w3.org/TR/css-masking-1/#the-clip-path