Re: [css-containment] ED of Containment ready for review (was overflow:clip)

From: Tab Atkins Jr. <jackalmage@gmail.com>
Date: Fri, 6 Dec 2013 10:10:59 +1100
To: Charles Walton <charleswalton@google.com>
Cc: Ojan Vafai <ojan@google.com>, Elliott Sprehn <esprehn@chromium.org>, Levi Weintraub <leviw@chromium.org>, "Robert O'Callahan" <robert@ocallahan.org>, Simon Fraser <smfr@me.com>, www-style list <www-style@w3.org>
On Fri, Dec 6, 2013 at 6:56 AM, Charles Walton <charleswalton@google.com> wrote:
> On Wed, Dec 4, 2013 at 5:09 PM, Tab Atkins Jr. <jackalmage@gmail.com> wrote:
>>
>> * "paint" would be #1, #4, and #5
>> * "style" would be #6 and #7
>

> I'd guess that to the average author, "paint" and "style" would be seem to
> be largely overlapping.

Are you saying that the *words* "paint" and "style" seem too similar?
Or are you saying that 1/4/5 and 6/7 are overlapping to the average
author?

> I don't even know if many authors have heard of
> "paint" before or know what it signifies.

Yeah, it's a somewhat weird term, but pretty clear once you see it.

> Also, the "paint" constraints have
> as much to do with constraining layout, as opposed to just paint.

Right, I'm not super happy about the term for those reasons, but I
don't think it's worth splitting apart 1/4/5.  Better names welcome.

> What about something more like:
> contain: all | scroll | none;
>
> where:
> "all" enforces #1-7,
> "scroll" enforces #1, 4-7,
> and "none" is the default.

That's exactly opposite.  You don't want "contain: scroll;" to mean
"don't do anything about scrolling". ^_^